Sunday, January 6, 2008

Moving Right Aong With No Knitting Content

I am making some progress with my Morning Surf Scarf, really, I swear!!! Pictures will follow soon!!

Aside from knitting, two things I wanted to get back to in 2008 is my photography, and to improve my baking skills. For 2008, my plan is to get back to doing a Picture a Week, which I did faithfully in 2005 and 2006, but fell off the wagon in 2007. You can see them here, in my SmugMug Galleries. I will probably post the weekly picture in the blog on Fridays. It is a good way to hone skills, and try out new things. Initially when I started, it was with a group of photographers that would critique each other's work, which was invaluable. That ended, unfortunately, and I wish I could find something comparable online. I'd like to do more architectural photography this year, and more nighttime shots.

My other skill I want to improve is baking. I've been a bread baker for years, and am OK at cakes, pies, etc.. I'd like to get better consistency with baking, so I am going to try a Baked Goodie of the Week. Today we have Thin and Crispy Oatmeal Cookies from Cooks Illustrated, February 2008.

I have to say, these came out looking like the photo, that doesn't happen to me very often! And they lived up to their promise of being crisp on the outside and chewy on the inside. I just thought they were a little mild in flavor, I think I missed the raisins. I'd make them again, but with a modification or 2. I'd try them with raisins, or maybe a little sugar sprinkled on top. Overall, a good start to the new year!

No comments: