Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Fairchild Tropical Botanical Gardens

Since I live in a tourist area, and I am not the most prolific knitter, I thought I'd occasionally share some of the local places that are interesting to visit. My first stop is the Fairchild in Miami.

10901 Old Cutler Road Coral Gables, FL 33156 • Phone: 305-667-1651



The Fairchild is an 83 acre botanical park, located in south Miami. It's a beautiful place to picnic and spend the afternoon among the palms. There is a pair of wild blue and yellow macaws that live at the Fairchild, which is always makes me think I am in some far-away tropical place to see them fly by. The Fairchild is home to a lot of festivals, such the Mango Festival, the International Orchid Festival, and the International Chocolate Festival. Yes, chocolate!! Recently it housed a Chihuly exhibit that complemented the gardens beautifully.
a cormorant checks out the Chihuly

The iguanas are curious.



A nice place to relax and knit!

The Fairchild is really a beautiful place to spend some time. If you have a membership in your local science museum, your membership is reciprocal for a visit to the Fairchild. Bonus!! We use our membership to visit Flamingo Gardens, Miami Science Museum, and The Fort Lauderdale Museum of Discovery and Science. A very nice membership perk, indeed!

1 comment:

Patricia said...

Wonderful photos, I love the waterlilies. They look like floating trays. Is the Chihuly glass permanent? Love his wotk as well.